Saturday, February 15, 2014

Heart Cake From Kaybot

Valentine's Day is not something I have ever celebrated - I don't remember it being a big thing when I was young, and I suspect that it's become bigger in Australia in recent years through being promoted commercially to sell more cards, chocolates, roses and so on ...

However, it seemed an appropriate occasion to share another of my new acquisitions.


When I wrote the article about Kaybot Novelties and Kay Miniatures for Dolls Houses Past and Present last year, I commented that it was frustrating that the 1951 and '53 ads for Kaybot's Golly Stores did not show any of their own plaster foods.

Then, late last year, a boxed Kaybot store popped up on UK ebay - and I was lucky enough to win it! This store is called the Circle Bakery, and the box has a photo showing Kaybot cakes and breads, as well as some boxed goods!


I was even more thrilled that the advertising signs at the top of the store are for Huntley and Palmer's biscuits and cakes - as my grandfather's surname was Palmer, he was called Huntley in the family.


Although the store shown in the label on the box is pale yellow, the store in my box is blue. It doesn't have any advertising at the back of the shelves, but has the same stickers along the top:


and the same Ryvita ad on the counter that sits in front of the shelves:


The counter is made quite simply, and the top has become a bit warped:







Here is the bakery filled with all the goods that came with it:



The boxes of sugar are different from those shown on the label, but are from the same range. I think I have boxes of the kinds of sugar shown on the label, but I expect that the actual varieties included did vary, just as the colour of the store did.

You can see that there are some gaps on the shelves of my store. I'm glad that so many pieces have survived with it, including one of my favourite items, the Hovis loaf:


It even still has its paper label! I loved eating Hovis bread when I stayed with my grandparents in England - and especially loved the mini Hovis loaves that we could buy with a bowl of soup when we went shopping at Bentalls, in Kingston-on-Thames! I have some other plaster Hovis loaves, but I didn't know who had made them, so I'm delighted to have this photo showing it among other Kaybot breads.


I also hadn't realised that the fruit tart on the counter, next to the heart cake, was Kaybot, nor the Victoria sandwich cake on the bottom shelf! Some of the items that are missing from my bakery include what looks like another fruit flan, on the top shelf, a cottage loaf, and the cake on the middle shelf with yellow, white and brown checkered icing. Luckily, I have just bought a lot on ebay that includes one of those cakes! What is it called? All I can think of is Battenburg cake, but that has checkered cake, not the icing ... Also, there's no Huntley & Palmer's Dundee Cake tin. I have one, in the kitchen of my Cupboard House - perhaps I will look for another one to add to this bakery.

All this writing about and looking at photos of bread and cakes has made me quite hungry! Unfortunately, I don't have any cake in the house - but I have plenty of bread, so I think I'll go and make some toast!

6 comments:

  1. Where did your grandparents live Rebecca? I grew up in Richmond and Bentalls was our go-to department store for exciting shopping....I remember the soup and baby Hovis loaves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful that we share that memory! My grandparents lived in Oxshott, in Surrey. If you click on the label 'GranJean (my grandmother)' in my list of labels on the right, you will see a bit about her.

      Delete
  2. I've just read all the posts which mention your grandmother. How fantastic to have had her as a role model! I wonder if she knew Felicity Locke, the founder of IDHN? I was lucky enough to correspond with her not long after she passed IDHN into other hands and she sent me some of the very early cyclostyled copies, hand-typed by her of course. I must have the letters somewhere in Small Worlds.

    The Jumping Jack made me laugh. I have a "side-collection" of Jumping Jacks, all displayed on a screen in the guest toilet in my Czech house. Kids spend a lot of time in there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great Rebecca. It will be great if you can find the missing pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful bakery, Rebecca. I can almost smell fresh baked bread!

    ReplyDelete